-->

Monday, October 1, 2012

Friend for Dinner

“I'm having an old friend for dinner.”

a. Saw 4
b. Silence of the Lambs
c. Dark Shadows
d. The Cabin in the Woods
e. Night of the Living Dead



Answer: B

This is from a 1991 suspense film “The Silence of the Lambs”. The speaker was Hannibal Lecter who was the brilliant psychiatrist and cannibalistic serial killer.

Several minutes before the last scene, he spoke on the telephone to Clarice Starling,” ……I do wish we could chat longer but I’m having an old friend for dinner. Bye.”

But of course, the sentence was structured this way to have two meanings. One meaning: An old friend is going to visit me to have dinner. The other meaning: I am going to eat an old friend at dinner time. The character Hannibal was a cannibal.

No comments:

Post a Comment